The Pyra is the vastly improved successor of the OpenPandora. A way faster CPU, 5"-HD Screen, backlit keyboard.
The Pyra revolutionises mobile computing by being the first genuinely upgradable pocketable system. The CPU and display PCBs are socketed! This means there is no need to buy a new device every few years - you can simply update it with a new CPU board or improved display when it becomes available. This makes the Pyra a lot cheaper for those who play the long game and also takes care of the environment!
This is the official preorder of the DragonBox Pyra.
Please read carefully before placing your preorder!
* The payment for the preorder is a DOWNPAYMENT! The final payment will NOT be necessary before the device is ready to be shipped. If you'd like to pay more upfront, please add a shop voucher to your order which you can then use when the final payment is needed. The downpayment as well as the vouchers are WITHOUT VAT.
* The downpayment will be used to order the parts that are necessary for the production of the devices. This means, that it might not be possible to get a refund right away if you want one. (Normally, it is possible as the shop has funds as well, but I just thought I might warn you).
* We cannot say for sure when the delivery will happen. In case any issues occur, we rather fix them than rush things out. We think we'll be able to deliver the Pyra sometime this year though!
* Be aware that there is ALWAYS a certain risk with such crowdfunding / preorder projects. We already have working prototypes, so it's unlikely the project will fail especially as we already have enough preorders (500) to ensure that the production will go ahead. The risk shouldn't be too high, but I just wanted to point that out.
* When the preorder has been finished, you'll receive a voucher code. Please make sure you store it safely, as you will need to use it when the final order will be done.
* If you're one of the pre-preorders from last year: Please use your voucher code from then to place the preorder here. Don't worry: You're place within the queue is already fix!
* If we are in the position to offer different case colors to choose from you'll be able to select the color you want with the final order. There will DEFINITELY be a black version available.
* I want to personally thank you for your support with your preorder. I and the team have invested A LOT of time into the Pyra. Your support will help us to bring the Pyra to life!
Versions and final prices of the Pyra:
ALL versions have the same technical specs like CPU, LCD, storage, WLAN, etc. You can check those specs below.
The Mobile Edition adds mobile internet (3G/4G), GPS as well as additional sensors (Altometer, Hygrometer, Barometer, Compass). There are two versions of the Pyra Mobile Edition, one supporting the US-Frequencies and one supporting the EU (and mostly worldwide) frequencies.
* Pyra Standard Edition, 2GB RAM: 500 EUR without VAT (=595 EUR incl. VAT)
* Pyra Standard Edition, 4GB RAM: 529,41 EUR without VAT (=630 EUR incl. VAT)
* Pyra Mobile Edition, 2GB RAM: 600 EUR without VAT (=714 EUR incl. VAT)
* Pyra Mobile Edition, 4GB RAM: 626,05 EUR without VAT (=745 EUR incl. VAT)
if you buy 2 or more Pyras, you will receive a 5% discount for the final payment.
If you live within the EU, you have to pay the prices including VAT. If you live outside the EU, you pay the prices without VAT, however, depending on the country you live in, you might be charged some import tax.
Note: Price is without shipping costs. You can find the shipping costs on our shipping information page. Only UPS shipping is available outside of Germany. We are currently working for cheaper shipment options to USA, Canada and Australia (shipping locally from there), so we can't tell you the exact shipping costs yet.
The specs of the first available Pyra:
Texas Instruments OMAP 5 SoC
2x ARM Cortex-A15 @ 1.5Ghz with NEON SIMD
2x ARM Cortex-M4
Vivante GC320 2D Accelerator
4GB RAM, 32GB int. storage
720p 5" LCD
High-Quality speakers, analog volume wheel
Headset-Port, Built-in-Mic, HDMI Video Out, vibramotor
Ultra-portable: approx. 139 x 87 x 32 mm*
Huge battery for a long battery life (6000mAh)
Gaming controls (DPad, 4 shoulder buttons, 6 face buttons)
Two accurate analog controls with push-button
QWERTY keyboard with backlight
Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0*
Dual SDXC card slots
2x Full-size USB Host (one can be used as eSATA-with a small adaptor), 1x Micro USB 3.0, 1x Micro USB (Debug and Charging)